Streaming MPEG-4 with Linux
Before encoding an MPEG-4 streaming video clip, you must consider a few things. Do you want to keep the maximum quality or compatibility? Who is the intended audience for the clip? If you are showing the clip to a large group of people or the general public, it is best to encode the clip so it may be played by common video players. If you want to preserve quality, you can use an MPEG quantizer during encoding or the MPEG-4 encoding tools discussed above. You should provide download of the MPEG4IP player so users are able to play them properly. The MPEG4IP suite includes Visual Studio workspace files, which let you compile Windows version of the player, wmp4player. Provide it as well, as most of your clients are probably running Windows.
MPEG-4 will be the trend in video streaming in the coming years. The MPEG-4 implementations we have today are still not the full MPEG-4 toolbox. For example, integration of natural and synthetic content and broadcast-grade synchronization need to be advanced. With the technology becoming more mature, MPEG-4 will soon become the standard for internet video.
I would like to thank Bill May, the main developer for the MPEG4IP project, for his comments and suggestions on this article.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Senior Perl Developer
- As much as I share your point
1 hour 41 min ago
- So girls had it better ?
5 hours 13 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
5 hours 33 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
11 hours 5 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
16 hours 8 min ago
16 hours 27 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
16 hours 52 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
17 hours 5 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
22 hours 44 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
23 hours 19 min ago