Running Linux and Netfilter on Nokia IP Series Hardware
For information regarding compiling the Linux kernel, see the Kernel HOWTO
Some iptables options, such as limit match and MAC address support, may or may not need to be compiled in, depending on the needs for your particular network configuration.
For more information on serial support in Linux boot loaders, see www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO
Although hardening the Linux installation is beyond the scope of this article, it is important to turn off all unnecessary services. To fully harden the Linux installation install Bastille Linux.
More information on the configuration and administration of iptables can be found in the various Netfilter HOWTOs
Michael Rash works as a senior security engineer for an ASP in Annapolis, Maryland. He holds a Master's in Applied Mathematics from the University of Maryland and has been tinkering with Linux since 1998. In his free time, he enjoys playing the violin for the Prince George's Philharmonic Orchestra.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Giving Silos Their Due
- What's New in 3D Printing, Part III: the Software
- Server Hardening
- 22 Years of Linux Journal on One DVD - Now Available
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- February 2016 Issue of Linux Journal
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- New Products