Running Linux and Netfilter on Nokia IP Series Hardware
For information regarding compiling the Linux kernel, see the Kernel HOWTO
Some iptables options, such as limit match and MAC address support, may or may not need to be compiled in, depending on the needs for your particular network configuration.
For more information on serial support in Linux boot loaders, see www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO
Although hardening the Linux installation is beyond the scope of this article, it is important to turn off all unnecessary services. To fully harden the Linux installation install Bastille Linux.
More information on the configuration and administration of iptables can be found in the various Netfilter HOWTOs
Michael Rash works as a senior security engineer for an ASP in Annapolis, Maryland. He holds a Master's in Applied Mathematics from the University of Maryland and has been tinkering with Linux since 1998. In his free time, he enjoys playing the violin for the Prince George's Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2014 Poll
- Give new life to old phones and tablets with these tips!
- HEC Montréal: Deployment of a Large-Scale Mail Installation
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Overlay Images on Video Using MPlayer and MEncoder
- Source Code Scanners for Better Code
- Should Software Developers Be Liable for their Code?
- ebook2cw-E-book to Morse Code Conversion
- RSS Feeds