A Double Chance for DMCA Reform
Representative Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) is planning to reintroduce the Digital Choice and Freedom Act of 2002, a bill that would reform the controversial anticircumvention provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). The bill would allow users to bypass copy restriction systems for fair use purposes, much like the Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act, cosponsored by Rep. Rick Boucher (D-VA), John Doolittle (R-CA), Spencer Bachus (R-AL) and Patrick Kennedy (D-RI), proposes.
Rep. Lofgren plans to reintroduce her bill before March, said Steve Adamske, communications director and spokesperson for Rep. Lofgren. Rep. Boucher reintroduced his reform bill on January 7. Both were originally introduced in the last session of Congress but too late to make any progress.
What's the difference between the two reform bills? They're targeted at different committees--the Lofgren bill goes to the Committee on the Judiciary and the Boucher bill goes to the Energy and Commerce Committee. This split means double the chances for hearings, twice as much attention to the issue and DMCA reform will be twice as hard to block.
Neither the Committee on the Judiciary or the Energy and Commerce Committee has yet scheduled hearings on DMCA reform for this session of Congress.
|Android Candy: Copay—the Next-Generation Bitcoin Wallet||Sep 03, 2015|
|The True Internet of Things||Sep 02, 2015|
|September 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: HOW-TOs||Sep 01, 2015|
|September 2015 Video Preview||Sep 01, 2015|
|Using tshark to Watch and Inspect Network Traffic||Aug 31, 2015|
|Where's That Pesky Hidden Word?||Aug 28, 2015|
- Using tshark to Watch and Inspect Network Traffic
- Problems with Ubuntu's Software Center and How Canonical Plans to Fix Them
- The True Internet of Things
- September 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: HOW-TOs
- Android Candy: Copay—the Next-Generation Bitcoin Wallet
- Firefox Security Exploit Targets Linux Users and Web Developers
- Where's That Pesky Hidden Word?
- Concerning Containers' Connections: on Docker Networking
- A Project to Guarantee Better Security for Open-Source Projects
- Doing Astronomy with Python