Hacking Red Hat Kickstart
Once the image is burned onto the CD, insert the CD into the target machine and boot the machine. You should get the custom message that you created earlier. At this point, you can either press Enter at the boot prompt or let it timeout. When it times out it uses the default label, which we specified as ks (Kickstart).
If we did everything right, the installation should proceed without user interaction. In my experience, the installation takes approximately ten minutes. This may differ depending on your exact configuration.
With a combination of Kickstart and a customized Anaconda, a powerful and flexible installation can be created. This installation greatly improved cycle time and reduced errors for my project. I was able to install multiple machines, multiple times almost effortlessly. In this article, I touched on only a few ways to take advantage of Kickstart and Anaconda, but there are many other possibilities. I encourage those interested to read the documentation in the Resources section and to join the Kickstart and Anaconda mailing lists for further information.
- Papa's Got a Brand New NAS
- Applied Expert Systems, Inc.'s CleverView for TCP/IP on Linux
- Simplenote, Simply Awesome!
- Rogue Wave Software's TotalView for HPC and CodeDynamics
- Panther MPC, Inc.'s Panther Alpha
- GENIVI Alliance's GENIVI Vehicle Simulator
- The Tiny Internet Project, Part III
- NethServer: Linux without All That Linux Stuff
- Jetico's BestCrypt Container Encryption for Linux
- Linux Journal January 2017