Hacking Red Hat Kickstart
Once the image is burned onto the CD, insert the CD into the target machine and boot the machine. You should get the custom message that you created earlier. At this point, you can either press Enter at the boot prompt or let it timeout. When it times out it uses the default label, which we specified as ks (Kickstart).
If we did everything right, the installation should proceed without user interaction. In my experience, the installation takes approximately ten minutes. This may differ depending on your exact configuration.
With a combination of Kickstart and a customized Anaconda, a powerful and flexible installation can be created. This installation greatly improved cycle time and reduced errors for my project. I was able to install multiple machines, multiple times almost effortlessly. In this article, I touched on only a few ways to take advantage of Kickstart and Anaconda, but there are many other possibilities. I encourage those interested to read the documentation in the Resources section and to join the Kickstart and Anaconda mailing lists for further information.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Server Hardening
- 22 Years of Linux Journal on One DVD - Now Available
- Giving Silos Their Due
- What's New in 3D Printing, Part III: the Software
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Firefox OS
- February 2016 Issue of Linux Journal