HP is talking about how HP-UX will be able to run Linux applications; so is Sun with Solaris. ISVs are going to be asking themselves, “Why should I bother to develop for a specific UNIX if I can develop for Linux and it will run on almost all UNIX platforms?”
Middleware? I think it's something that sits between something that's useful and something you can understand.
You need 64-bit support; you need terabyte filesystems. IBM says the Open Source community will tackle that. I don't think so. Somebody's got to build that.
—Jonathan Schwartz, Sun Microsystems
[See page 44.]
- October 2014 Issue of Linux Journal: Embedded
- Encrypt Your Dog (Mutt and GPG)
- Practical Tiny Core in the Fire Service
- DevOps for Dummies
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Python Scripts as a Replacement for Bash Utility Scripts
- New Products
- RSS Feeds
- Open Axiom
- Cooking with Linux - Serious Cool, Sysadmin Style!
Free DevOps eBooks, Videos, and more!
Regardless of where you are in your DevOps process, Linux Journal can help!
We offer here the DEFINITIVE DevOps for Dummies, a mobile Application Development Primer, and advice & help from the expert sources like:
- Linux Journal