HP is talking about how HP-UX will be able to run Linux applications; so is Sun with Solaris. ISVs are going to be asking themselves, “Why should I bother to develop for a specific UNIX if I can develop for Linux and it will run on almost all UNIX platforms?”
Middleware? I think it's something that sits between something that's useful and something you can understand.
You need 64-bit support; you need terabyte filesystems. IBM says the Open Source community will tackle that. I don't think so. Somebody's got to build that.
—Jonathan Schwartz, Sun Microsystems
[See page 44.]
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Firefox OS
- New Products