I noticed on page 92 (right column, top of page) of the June 2002 issue [see Richard Ferri's article “The OSCAR Revolution”]: “Workload management: Portable Batch Systems (PBS) from Veridian and Maui Scheduler (developed by Maui High Times Computing Center).” Many of my research colleagues have been closely involved with MHPCC, and I have spent some time there. We are all laughing our a**** off! I sent the following message to some of my research colleagues:
In this month's Linux Journal (June 2002), there is an article on the OSCAR open-source cluster application effort. There is a bullet item list of tools and features on page 92, but this one really caught my eye: “Workload management: Portable Batch Systems (PBS) from Veridian and Maui Scheduler (developed by Maui High Times Computing Center).” That is not a typo in my e-mail. The article really calls it the “Maui HIGH TIMES Computing Center”. No doubt, the author intended to give new meaning to the phrase “smoking fast system performance”.
Since then, e-mails have been flying. The “suits” might not have much sense of humor, but we folks in the trenches love it. Keep up the good work.
Richard replies: That was completely unintentional on my part—I really thought I had read that name somewhere, and I thought it was a very laid-back Maui attitude. Of course, after the article came out in print, and I reread it, I realized my error, and I couldn't find any references to “Maui High Times” except for completely unrelated stuff, you know—I hope everyone maintains their sense of humor over my faux pas.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
2 hours 33 min ago
- There are factors which are
7 hours 33 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
8 hours 18 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
12 hours 25 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
22 hours 31 min ago
- on the ground
1 day 4 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 6 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 9 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 9 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
1 day 21 hours ago