Linux at the Embedded Systems Conference 2002
A new book on embedded Linux has been released by Addison-Wesley. Embedded Linux: Hardware, Software and Interfacing by Dr. Craig Hollabaugh is a 432-page book that teaches the development and implementation of interfacing applications on an embedded Linux platform. Hollabaugh says his book
documents “Project Trailblazer”, a hypothetical winter resort automation project—from initial funding, to design and then through implementation and system integration. You will follow the Trailblazer engineers as they select target hardware, create a development environment, interface various data acquisition, control, and multimedia devices, and then write device drivers and integration code.
Lineo tightens its belt (again). Citing “the impact of the economic downturn”, Lineo further reduced its headcount in March, from 138 employees to “between 75 and 80”, according to CEO Matt Harris. Harris says Lineo is continuing the process begun last fall of narrowing its focus to three key markets: handheld devices (PDAs and smart phones), edge devices (residential gateways, firewalls, routers) and digital TV (set-top boxes, entertainment systems). Last September, Lineo announced that it was laying off 60 employees and “spinning out” an additional 100, which was to leave the company with roughly 110 employees. A previous layoff, in June 2001, had reduced their workforce from 322 to 280. Harris expects the latest changes to bring about profitability by mid-2002.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Building a Multisourced Infrastructure Using OpenVPN
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- New Products
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- February 2016 Issue of Linux Journal
- Non-Linux FOSS: Snk