Keeping Up with Python: the 2.2 Release
Although all these new features and weakness resolutions bring Python pretty far down the path, there are those who claim that they violate Python's simplistic nature. If you're stictly a purist, that is probably a valid consideration. However, by finally purging some of the annoyances and adding a few more powerful constructs to the language, we are probably better off than we were before. These changes will not have a negative impact on existing code, and those that do, such as the change in the division operator, are at least not required for some time and allow for a more painless transition.
Finally, see Resources for a couple of other high-level documents, such as Andrew Kuchlin's “What's New in Python 2.2” and the slide presentation from one of Guido's talks last fall at a Python user group meeting. Python 2.2.1 can be downloaded at the main Python language home page. Happy hacking!
Wesley J. Chun, author of Core Python Programming, has over a decade of programming and instructional experience. Chun helped build Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! People Search using Python and is currently employed by Synarc, a service company in clinical trials utilizing Python to develop applications that allow radiologists to perform patient assessments.
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- New Products
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Putlocker!! Watch Begin Again Online 2014 Streaming Full Movie
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark
- ~Putlocker~2014 Watch Boyhood Online Streaming Full Movie
- Linux Security Threats on the Rise