Take Linux with You Wherever You Go
Sharp Electronics is taking orders for their Zaurus SL-5000D (developer edition) Linux/Java PDA from developers beginning in November 2001. The price for the developer model is $399 US, and it includes 32MB DRAM and 16MB Flash.
The device is based on a 206MHz Intel StrongARM system-on-chip processor, and it has a 3.5" 240 × 320-dot pixel (quarter VGA) reflective TFT 65,536 color LCD with touch-panel support and, of course, runs an embedded Linux operating system. The software stack is based on Lineo's Embedix, Trolltech's Qt Palmtop Environment, Opera's web browser and a PersonalJava v1.2-compliant Java runtime environment. Two expansion slots are provided: a secure digital (SD) card slot, used mainly for Flash memory, plus a CompactFlash slot used for communications interfaces, a digital camera attachment, Flash memory and more.
A unique and highly desirable feature of the SL-5000D is its full QWERTY keyboard, which is accessed by sliding the bottom portion of the device downward. See developer.sharpsec.com for more information.
Rick Lehrbaum (firstname.lastname@example.org) created the LinuxDevices.com “embedded Linux portal”. Rick has worked in the field of embedded systems since 1979. He cofounded Ampro Computers, founded the PC/104 Consortium and was instrumental in creating and launching the Embedded Linux Consortium.
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Divx# Watch The Other Woman Full HD Online Streaming Viooz
- Numerical Python
- Use Linux as a SAN Provider
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- RSS Feeds
- Great Scott! It's Version 13!
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Adminer—Better Than Awesome!
- <Watch> HD! Watch Walking On Sunshine Online Full Movie Streaming