Bare Metal Recovery, Revisited
The script make.fdisk should be run as a normal part of preparing for backing up for bare metal recovery. Run it before you run save.metadata so that the output files are saved to the ZIP drive. Better yet, have save.metadata call it, once for each hard drive.
When you are restoring, run make.dev.x for each hard drive you have. Again, this can be automated by including it in restore.metadata.
There are other things you can do with this script. Suppose you want to add a new partition. Use the bare metal backup process to save a hard drive, then edit the dev.x command file to change the partition definitions and restore using the edited file. I successfully added a 30MB Mess-DOS partition to my test computer with this technique.
Some improvements that you can tackle if you like include having make.fdisk process several hard drives, all indicated on the command line; adding error checking for the argument(s) to make.fdisk, having it produce one script that builds all the hard drives, extending the FAT filesystem support (for one thing, right now the code ignores FAT32); and extending the code to support other filesystems.
Charles Curley (w3.trib.com/~ccurley) is a freelance software engineer, writer and occasional cowpoke in the wilds of Wyoming. Occasionally, while he's in his backyard working on an article, some deer wander through and he loses his train of thought.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
8 hours 39 min ago
- There are factors which are
13 hours 39 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
14 hours 23 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
18 hours 31 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 4 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 10 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 12 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 15 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 15 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 4 hours ago