Building the Ultimate Linux Box
I find it impressive that, after having specified it on a cost-is-no-object basis, the total system cost is so low. I tried to gold-plate as much of the system as possible and load on all the extras and accessories I could, and I was still unable to raise the total parts bill over $7,000 US.
If we discarded the most extravagant peripherals—the Klipsch speakers, the Radeon, and the DVD and DDS drives—the cost would drop to a quite reasonable $4,200 US or so. As Rick pungently observes, “People pay more than that for crap computers every day.” This design will be available for purchase from Los Alamos Computers as the ULB-200108.
And how fast does it build kernels? After make clean, the Ultimate Linux Box builds the ULB's 2.4.8 Linux kernel from a cold standing start (make -j3 'MAKE=make -j3' dep; make -j3 MAKE=make -j3' bzImage) in 2 minutes and 21 seconds flat. Sweeeet.
Eric S. Raymond is a wandering anthropologist and troublemaking philosopher who happened to be in the right place at the right time and has been wondering whether he should regret it ever since.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- New Products
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
5 hours 3 min ago
- on the ground
11 hours 25 min ago
- I was able to read the whole
12 hours 54 min ago
- since i have read the title i
16 hours 14 min ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
16 hours 19 min ago
- The kernel doesn't really
1 day 4 hours ago
1 day 5 hours ago
1 day 5 hours ago
1 day 7 hours ago
- This should be very helpful
1 day 8 hours ago