Starting Share Files with NFS
While the mount command for the NFS filesystem is working, the version of the protocol is being recognized and a warning message may appear on the screen. Usually it says the NFS version of the server is older than the kernel mechanism.
The idea of sharing files through the Net is as old as the Net itself, so there are concurrent solutions lists. To improve NFS try version 4, or NFSv4 for short, which was introduced in the year 2000. The inventor of NFS, Sun Microsystems, is a sponsor for the Linux NFSv4 Project. It has, of course, all the features of previous releases but supports security by extending the basic RPC security mechanism, so the weakest point of the previous version has been solved. The other weak point, lack of internationalization, does not exist anymore. Speed of transferring has improved due to caching. We also can avoid those procedures of calculating the optimal parameters because the new mechanisms of improving access are supported. Putting this version into practice means going without dust and noise—nowadays the Linux NFSv3 server supports file locking—an NFSv4 feature.
So, don't forget about the old vine on the Net, NFS. It is still not the vinegar of history.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2014 Poll
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Give new life to old phones and tablets with these tips!
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Source Code Scanners for Better Code
- Identifying Swift Opportunities Relating to interview transcript holocaust
- RSS Feeds
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer