I just went through your article about Nessus in LJ (June 2001), and I just wanted to congratulate you, both on the accuracy of what is being said, as well as on the excellent step-by-step instructions you gave to readers.
Just to illustrate how well you explained: I only received a few installation-problem questions from (what seems to be) readers of your article, while the mailing list gained about 100 new users the two weeks after the release of LJ. (And congrats for not having taken the screenshots directly off nessus.org, as so many persons do.) A very fine job indeed.
—Renaud Deraison The Nessus Project
Choong Ng's review of Mandrake 8.0 in the August 2001 issue gives a good overall picture of the strengths and weaknesses of the release. However, he failed to mention one important issue. It seems that the stock kernel shipped with Mandrake 8.0 will not work with the PS/2 mouse pointer in many IBM ThinkPad laptops. On the ThinkPad mailing list, some people have not even been able to install Mandrake 8.0 because of this.
Izzet Agoren's Kernel Korner (May 2001) The line of code on page 28 that reads
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forwardingMitch Chapman's “Create User Interfaces with Glade” (July 2001) The link for the Glade home page listed in this article is obsolete. The new location is glade.gnome.org.
- A Switch for Your Pi
- Papa's Got a Brand New NAS
- Applied Expert Systems, Inc.'s CleverView for TCP/IP on Linux
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- Simplenote, Simply Awesome!
- Rogue Wave Software's TotalView for HPC and CodeDynamics
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Panther MPC, Inc.'s Panther Alpha
- Debugging Democracy
- NethServer: Linux without All That Linux Stuff