An Accurate Assessment?
My knowledge is not where it could be, and I continue to learn every day. But, the exams still need considerable improvement to be considered a fair assessment of an administrator's skills. I believe the work is actively underway at LPI to improve the certification exams. Even with the minor difficulties, this certification program is still my choice over the others, mostly due to the wide support and vendor neutrality of the program.
Computerized testing doesn't allow one the luxury of fiddling with the options to obtain an exact result (like regular expressions) and thus was not a good mechanism for testing some areas of system administration, where bizarre and varied problems are encountered daily. Other exams may have a more practical approach in challenging you to fix a broken system within an allotted time period.
In summary, taking the LPIC exams can be a good personal assessment of system administrator knowledge even though quantifying that via a computerized exam may not be entirely perfect. Plus, I feel that certifications, along with strong and relevant experience cannot hurt your chances in our competitive world. I recently registered for the 102 exam to be taken soon.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
5 hours 14 min ago
- There are factors which are
10 hours 13 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
10 hours 58 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
15 hours 6 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 1 hour ago
- on the ground
1 day 7 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 9 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 12 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 12 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 39 min ago