Best of Technical Support
When I try to send anything to the printer, I get Job is queued, but cannot start dæmon. I can print by sending text directly to the printer with cat, but it won't start the dæmon. lpc status shows no dæmons started. I've set up printers many times before, but I've never run into this problem. I've tried removing and reinstalling the lpr package and all of the other tricks I've read. Even—Jim Jerzycke, firstname.lastname@example.org
Make sure that the printer spooler dæmon is running. With SuSE you'll want to make sure that the file /etc/rc.config includes the line
If it is not there, or if it is set to no, you should make the change, and then run—Robert Connoy, email@example.com
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Wine 1.8 Released
- Firefox OS
- Non-Linux FOSS: Snk