Porting from IRIX to Linux
Right now you can drive, shoot the weapons and interact with DIS entities in Paradigm's Atlantis database (credit goes to John Powers and Lori Shearer for helping with the CTDB files). The system can talk to VAPS panels running on another host under Windows NT (credit goes to Kay Chao, Kathy Jones and Vince Golubic).
Much has changed since this work was done (first quarter 2000). ACRT can now use the newer High Level Architecture (HLA), a successor to DIS. SGI is continuing to make contributions to the world of Linux, including releasing the reference implementation of OpenGL. A new version of Mongoose is out, and we're experimenting with it now. By the time you read this, version 2.4 should be out, unifying IRIX and Linux distributions. nVidia has come out with new graphics cards and Linux drivers. The long-awaited XFree86 version 4 is out with direct rendering of OpenGL. (Prior versions took a performance hit when they had to first render to X and then to the screen.) Motif is now free on Linux systems.
A Linux version of the VAPS tool we used for soft panels is due out in first quarter of 2001.
George Koharchik mourns the passing of lisp machines and works at Raytheon. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Brian Roberts joined Raytheon Systems Company in 1995 as a full-time member of the Visualization and Simulation Technologies team. His main responsibilities consisted of design and development of new software for a reconfigurable visual simulation. He now works at Texas Instruments.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Linux Systems Administrator
- The kernel doesn't really
3 hours 15 min ago
3 hours 46 min ago
3 hours 46 min ago
5 hours 51 min ago
- This should be very helpful
7 hours 5 min ago
- As much as I share your point
9 hours 25 min ago
- So girls had it better ?
12 hours 56 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
13 hours 16 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
18 hours 49 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
23 hours 52 min ago