Porting from IRIX to Linux
Right now you can drive, shoot the weapons and interact with DIS entities in Paradigm's Atlantis database (credit goes to John Powers and Lori Shearer for helping with the CTDB files). The system can talk to VAPS panels running on another host under Windows NT (credit goes to Kay Chao, Kathy Jones and Vince Golubic).
Much has changed since this work was done (first quarter 2000). ACRT can now use the newer High Level Architecture (HLA), a successor to DIS. SGI is continuing to make contributions to the world of Linux, including releasing the reference implementation of OpenGL. A new version of Mongoose is out, and we're experimenting with it now. By the time you read this, version 2.4 should be out, unifying IRIX and Linux distributions. nVidia has come out with new graphics cards and Linux drivers. The long-awaited XFree86 version 4 is out with direct rendering of OpenGL. (Prior versions took a performance hit when they had to first render to X and then to the screen.) Motif is now free on Linux systems.
A Linux version of the VAPS tool we used for soft panels is due out in first quarter of 2001.
George Koharchik mourns the passing of lisp machines and works at Raytheon. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brian Roberts joined Raytheon Systems Company in 1995 as a full-time member of the Visualization and Simulation Technologies team. His main responsibilities consisted of design and development of new software for a reconfigurable visual simulation. He now works at Texas Instruments.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
15 min 50 sec ago
- This should be very helpful
1 hour 29 min ago
- As much as I share your point
3 hours 49 min ago
- So girls had it better ?
7 hours 21 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
7 hours 41 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
13 hours 13 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
18 hours 16 min ago
18 hours 35 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
19 hours 45 sec ago
- Nothing is perfect
19 hours 14 min ago