Installing and Configuring Apache, PHP and MySQL
Now that everything was installed, it was time to see if PHP actually worked. For that I created the following simple page:
<HTML><\n> <HEAD><TITLE>PHP Test</TITLE></HEAD> <BODY> <?phpinfo() ?> </BODY> </HTML>
Notice that PHP commands are contained by <? and ?> tags. I saved the file as test.php in Apache's htdocs directory and aimed my browser at http://localhost/test.php A page appeared with the PHP logo and quite a bit of information about my PHP configuration, so I knew that PHP was working. If you see <?phpinfo() ?> and nothing else, make sure that the line in httpd.conf that adds the PHP type to Apache is uncommented and that Apache has been restarted. If your problems persist, both the Apache and PHP web sites contain information on using PHP and Apache together.
Once I knew that Apache and PHP were working, I installed the PHP calendar program that I had chosen by simply copying its PHP files into a directory under Apache's htdocs directory. I now had a web server, a very powerful HTML embedded scripting language and a calendar system. In addition to costing nothing, I also have the source code for all the software so I can see how they work.
|Where's That Pesky Hidden Word?||Aug 28, 2015|
|A Project to Guarantee Better Security for Open-Source Projects||Aug 27, 2015|
|Concerning Containers' Connections: on Docker Networking||Aug 26, 2015|
|My Network Go-Bag||Aug 24, 2015|
|Doing Astronomy with Python||Aug 19, 2015|
|Build a “Virtual SuperComputer” with Process Virtualization||Aug 18, 2015|
- Concerning Containers' Connections: on Docker Networking
- Problems with Ubuntu's Software Center and How Canonical Plans to Fix Them
- Where's That Pesky Hidden Word?
- A Project to Guarantee Better Security for Open-Source Projects
- Firefox Security Exploit Targets Linux Users and Web Developers
- My Network Go-Bag
- Doing Astronomy with Python
- Build a “Virtual SuperComputer” with Process Virtualization
- Three More Lessons
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development