FIASCO—An Open-Source Fractal Image and Sequence Codec
FIASCO provides a powerful compression library that is intended to replace JPEG and MPEG for low bit-rate applications. FIASCO is an asymmetric compression method; you get software-based, real-time decoding at the cost of slow encoding times. FIASCO is especially suited in an application context where images or videos are compressed only once but requested and decoded several times (e.g., world wide web applications). Finally, if FIASCO were to be combined with an open-source sound and speech compression (e.g. Vorbis, see Resources), a complete video compression system for low bit rates would be available for free.
@aa:Ullrich Hafner (email@example.com, ulli.linuxave.net) has been a software engineer in the software management & design AG (sd&m), Germany since 1999. He developed FIASCO for his PhD thesis Low Bit-Rate Image and Video Coding with Weighted Finite Automats (see Resources) from 1994—1999.
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Aug 20, 2014|
|Security Hardening with Ansible||Aug 18, 2014|
|Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark||Aug 14, 2014|
|IndieBox: for Gamers Who Miss Boxes!||Aug 13, 2014|
|Non-Linux FOSS: a Virtualized Cisco Infrastructure?||Aug 11, 2014|
|Linux Security Threats on the Rise||Aug 08, 2014|
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark
- RSS Feeds
- Lock-Free Multi-Producer Multi-Consumer Queue on Ring Buffer
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Examining Load Average
- Building a Two-Node Linux Cluster with Heartbeat