Debian 2.2 Potato: Memorial to a Hacker
Debian's only real failure in the past has been its lack of easy installation, and while the developers haven't succumbed to the trend of default GUI installations, they have simplified, clarified and tightened up the process considerably. In short, it's easy for seasoned Linux users to get, maintain and update.
A point 1 release of Potato was, at the time this was written, planned to present a number of security and bug fixes that cropped up in 2.2.0, including one that appeared in one version of the boot floppy. (There is a plan to remove the boot floppy altogether from future distributions.)
There's already an unstable or developer's version of Debian available for those who'd like to get in on Debian development. This will likely become Debian 2.3 or 3.0 and is available at ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody.
As the new IvP6 standard becomes more of a reality, Debian developers are making more of a concerted effort to make their code compliant with it.
An incredible amount of work on the Debian distribution has taken place since the 2.1 release, and it's been a treat to run it for the past ten days. It's on its way to becoming a distribution of choice for many who are not inherently technical but who are willing to learn a little to get a lot from their computers. For the technically apt, it's already arrived.
Joel Klecker would be proud.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Web Administration Scripts
- Linux Systems Administrator
- animal pajamas
36 min 16 sec ago
- thanks for you post.
43 min 6 sec ago
- thanks for share, great
17 hours 56 min ago
- There are factors which are
22 hours 56 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
23 hours 41 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 3 hours ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 13 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 20 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 21 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
2 days 1 hour ago