ATF Jubilee Edition
Until now, the majority of my consulting work has been with Perl, which I still find to be a powerful language for working with the Web. Indeed, I used to tell people that about 80% of my work was with Perl, with the other 20% a mixture of Java, Python, Tcl and C.
But with the recent explosion in web programming environments, and with the shift to application servers, I (and my staff) have had to change direction somewhat. In many cases, we will prefer to use Perl, especially when coupled with mod_perl and HTML::Mason. However, we are increasingly using Java servlets and JSPs for projects, particularly with the Tomcat servlet/JSP engine and with the PostgreSQL database. Our familiarity with mod_perl is naturally leading us to look at AxKit, while servlets are forcing me to take a serious look at Enhydra.
We have already begun to use ACS for some large jobs, in no small part because of the very large number of working applications—not just underlying tools—that come with it. Moreover, the fact that ACS is free software and works with Linux makes it easy to work with since we can rely on the community to provide functionality, documentation, testing and bug fixes.
In other words, there are lots of technologies out there, many of which have sprung up only within the last year or so. As I complete this 50th ATF column and look toward the future, I see a world of possibilities and opportunities for web developers, particularly those who believe in free software and use Linux. The coming years promise to be exciting and interesting for web developers—and over the coming months and years, I hope to share with you my experiments and experiences in working with such tools, as well as sample pieces of software that can be used with them.
Practical Task Scheduling Deployment
July 20, 2016 12:00 pm CDT
One of the best things about the UNIX environment (aside from being stable and efficient) is the vast array of software tools available to help you do your job. Traditionally, a UNIX tool does only one thing, but does that one thing very well. For example, grep is very easy to use and can search vast amounts of data quickly. The find tool can find a particular file or files based on all kinds of criteria. It's pretty easy to string these tools together to build even more powerful tools, such as a tool that finds all of the .log files in the /home directory and searches each one for a particular entry. This erector-set mentality allows UNIX system administrators to seem to always have the right tool for the job.
Cron traditionally has been considered another such a tool for job scheduling, but is it enough? This webinar considers that very question. The first part builds on a previous Geek Guide, Beyond Cron, and briefly describes how to know when it might be time to consider upgrading your job scheduling infrastructure. The second part presents an actual planning and implementation framework.
Join Linux Journal's Mike Diehl and Pat Cameron of Help Systems.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- SUSE LLC's SUSE Manager
- My +1 Sword of Productivity
- Murat Yener and Onur Dundar's Expert Android Studio (Wrox)
- Managing Linux Using Puppet
- Non-Linux FOSS: Caffeine!
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Doing for User Space What We Did for Kernel Space
- Parsing an RSS News Feed with a Bash Script
- Rogue Wave Software's Zend Server
- SuperTuxKart 0.9.2 Released
With all the industry talk about the benefits of Linux on Power and all the performance advantages offered by its open architecture, you may be considering a move in that direction. If you are thinking about analytics, big data and cloud computing, you would be right to evaluate Power. The idea of using commodity x86 hardware and replacing it every three years is an outdated cost model. It doesn’t consider the total cost of ownership, and it doesn’t consider the advantage of real processing power, high-availability and multithreading like a demon.
This ebook takes a look at some of the practical applications of the Linux on Power platform and ways you might bring all the performance power of this open architecture to bear for your organization. There are no smoke and mirrors here—just hard, cold, empirical evidence provided by independent sources. I also consider some innovative ways Linux on Power will be used in the future.Get the Guide