Best of Technical Support
I am trying to make the system run on my cable modem. I have two other computers running on it, but they are Windows-operated. I have entered all the information that is needed, IP, Gateway, subnet mask, as well as host and domain. But every time I try to run Netscape and go to a web page, it gives me an error message that the web server cannot be found. I cannot seem to figure out what the problem might be; I have tried to follow all the documentation I could get my hands on. Hopefully you can help me. —Chirag Jay Patel, firstname.lastname@example.org
It looks like you have a routing problem. Try this command:
route add default gw <ip_of_your_cable_modem_host>
That is the IP address of the host that has attached the cable modem (or the IP address of the modem itself, depending on your hardware setup). What happens here is that this command tells Linux's TCP/IP to go out through the standard and default exit to the Internet, which is your cable modem. —Felipe E. Barousse Boué, email@example.com
When I try to connect to my ISP, I hear a dial tone but there is no connection. In /var/log/messages, there is the nex message: Peer is not authorized to use remote address x.x.x.x Where x.x.x.x is het number from the ISP. I searched the Internet for this but got very little information. Thank you in advance. —Wim van den Broeke, firstname.lastname@example.org
Try adding the line
to the /etc/ppp/options file so the peer is allowed to set the route from the ISP assigned address, which is assumed not to be set at the moment of connection. Do a man pppd and check all options for the pppd daemon on the “options” setup file. —Felipe E. Barousse Boué, email@example.com
I am new to Linux, and I like it a lot. I would like to know how to do the following:1. Set the desktop display to conform to the monitor. 2. Set up the screen to be able to fit the size of my monitor. 3. Change the color scoop from 16bit to more colors. (Still monitor) 4. I am confused about Samba. Please advise on how to connect Samba file share with Windows. —Luke, firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The Xconfigurator command will guide you on the X setup. Use “custom” monitor and get the correct values of scan frequencies from your monitor manual specs.
2. The highest resolution can be achieved with Xconfigurator, as well. Make sure your monitor supports high resolutions!
3. After Xconfigurator, you can try editing /etc/X11/XF86Config to define default video modes, let's say 800x600 or 1024x768 on your video card's settings section. You have to make sure you have enough video memory to support high color depths.
4. You need to set up the IP and host name of your Windows PC on /etc/hosts. That is, host names must be correctly resolved. Edit /etc/smb.conf and add your workgroup name to the line: workgroup = YOUR_WORKGROUP_NAME. Then, add the server name to the line: server string = YOUR_SAMBA_SERVER_NAME. Finally, edit the line to say hosts allow = xxx.yyy.xxx. 127. You must write the first three number groups of your IP addresses (denoting the LAN address itself) immediately after a blank space and the “127.”, indicating the localhost. Note the trailing dots after network and localhost-network IP numbers. Lastly, share a directory from Linux to Windows, let's say:
[linuxtemp] comment = Linux /tmp directory path = /tmp public = yes writable = yes printable = no
This will share the /tmp directory under the “linuxtemp” name. Restart Samba with the command /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart and double click on the network neighborhood of your Windows box; you should see the Linux's share /tmp directory.
Samba is a complex service. I would suggest you look up further details from the Linux documentation project site at metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/html_single/SMB-HOWTO--Felipe E. Barousse Boué, email@example.com
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- Cluetrain at Fifteen
- Considering Legacy UNIX/Linux Issues
- Python Scripts as a Replacement for Bash Utility Scripts
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Getting Good Vibrations with Linux
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- New Products
- Putlocker!! Watch Begin Again Online 2014 Streaming Full Movie
- RSS Feeds