The Castlewood Orb removable disk drive was reviewed in LJ's December issue. I was intrigued, despite the reported slow speed; I figured there must be a faster SCSI model. In fact, they no longer make the parallel port version you reviewed. It's available as external SCSI or USB, or internal SCSI or ATAPI. I purchased an external SCSI model and I can report the following: I measured write speed at over 3000KB/sec, and hdparm reports reading speed at 8.3MB/sec. Being SCSI, it is trivial to create a Linux-native file system on it and mount it. All and all, I'm very satisfied with my Orb 2.2.
—Peter S. Galbraith GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
- Papa's Got a Brand New NAS
- Applied Expert Systems, Inc.'s CleverView for TCP/IP on Linux
- Panther MPC, Inc.'s Panther Alpha
- Simplenote, Simply Awesome!
- The Tiny Internet Project, Part III
- GENIVI Alliance's GENIVI Vehicle Simulator
- NethServer: Linux without All That Linux Stuff
- Rogue Wave Software's TotalView for HPC and CodeDynamics
- Sometimes My Office Goes with Me
- Jetico's BestCrypt Container Encryption for Linux