Linux and IBM PowerPCs
If you are going to venture into installing Linux on a PReP IBM PowerPC, spend some time reviewing both the current and archived mailing lists for Yellow Dog and LinuxPPC. Let people on the list know what you are planning. Be specific about which Linux distribution you plan to use and the model of your PowerPC. They can help you avoid some blind alleys and dead-end avenues.
Not having the proper firmware installed on your PReP machine could affect your installation of Linux. It may not be important to some, yet most of these PReP machines require a specific firmware release to be Year 2000 ready. IBM maintains a Year 2000 web site where you can verify whether a different firmware release is required for your system. Caution: use only firmware designated for your machine—doing otherwise could break your machine beyond repair. IBM's Year 2000 site for firmware information is in Resources. Virtually all of IBM's PReP machines are listed.
The information in this article was gleaned from various web sites, lists, newsgroups, flyers, presentations and conversations. The accuracy of this information is subject to change without any notice. Please check the referenced web sites for current information and offerings.
Daniel Lazenby (firstname.lastname@example.org) first encountered UNIX in 1983 and discovered Linux in 1994.
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- New Products
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Putlocker!! Watch Begin Again Online 2014 Streaming Full Movie
- New Products
- ~Putlocker~2014 Watch Boyhood Online Streaming Full Movie
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark