1999 Readers' Choice Awards
“Backup? Who needs backup? Maybe it sounds crazy, that's okay, it is.”
BRU, with 35.5% of the vote, comes in ahead of its closest rivals Amanda which had 15.3% and Lonetar which had 10.8%. Worth noting were the number of write-ins advocating tar, a simple solution you can insert easily into cron. While BRU and Lonetar are proprietary, Amanda is freely available, in case you actually want to back something up—but Linux is so stable!
Cyclades, with 37.7%, seems to be more popular than its competitors Digi International with 15.8% and Boca with 10.0%. Cyclades has a cool name, but do you pronounce it like the island chain?
“Who needs databases?”
MySQL, the free database from Finland and Sweden, scores big points with 42.4%, compared to PostgreSQL with 19.5% and Oracle with 15.2%. The Berkeley Database, which is embedded in practically everything, scored only 1.4%, which is odd. Still, it stands to reason that MySQL would be a favorite choice of the Linux community, considering its origins and relatively free license. Someone wrote in M$ SQL, as a joke... I think.
“I hope to earn my black-belt in script-fu some day.”
In an amazing upset victory... oh, wait. The GIMP wins again this year, with 76.8% of the vote. xv and CorelDraw each got 8.1% of the votes (though xv was ahead by 4 votes). The GIMP blew away everything years ago; now it is polished and beautiful. You can do anything with it, even if you're not a graphics expert. Then, you can use SatanPaint (which scored 0.1%) to convert your drawings into C include files. It is interesting that Linux has such a fantastic graphics package, while audio seems to have been largely neglected. Are Linux types visually inclined? Apparently so, and projects like the GIMP, GNOME, Enlightenment, KDE and the themes trend are all evidence, as well as the new wave of screen savers and demos.
“Linux has a demo scene? I have to check this out!”
Even though we can't take over every processor cycle and sync our routines to raster positions, Linux finally has demos, lots of them. It is no surprise that State of Mind would win for this year, but what is a surprise is the third-place finisher, BB by AA (Big Brother, the aalib ASCII demo), which was not included but had many write-ins. Second place went to XDemo8 by Lame Over. Technically speaking, most write-in votes went for “What is a demo?” or some variant thereof. Someone wrote in linus.au; hmmm. Truly we have a cool scene, small though it may be.
“Pine is evil.”
Pine has displaced last year's winner Elm with a 41.4% vote, compared to the second-place finisher Netscape Communicator with 32.2% and the up-and-coming Mutt which had 14.7%. What happened to Elm? It fell to number four, with 6.8% of the vote. Several variants of Emacs mailers received numerous write-ins. A growing Pine/Pico recovery and support community will probably lead Mutt to greater popularity next year; in any event, it has colors and that's cool.
What would development be without a compiler? The GNU C Compiler wins with 65.8% of the vote, while the Experimental GNU Compiler System took 20.9%. Now that the two are reconciled and together again, that would be an 86.7% collective. The recently delivered Metrowerks CodeWarrior scored 5.9%, a number which might be higher if it only ran on more distributions. The free Code Crusader was fourth with 2.7%, GNUPro Toolkit was fifth with 2.5%. The Linux standard, Emacs/gcc/make or some variant thereof, was the most common comment. Where would we be without GNU, or would we be at all without GNU?
Getting Started with DevOps - Including New Data on IT Performance from Puppet Labs 2015 State of DevOps Report
August 27, 2015
12:00 PM CDT
DevOps represents a profound change from the way most IT departments have traditionally worked: from siloed teams and high-anxiety releases to everyone collaborating on uneventful and more frequent releases of higher-quality code. It doesn't matter how large or small an organization is, or even whether it's historically slow moving or risk averse — there are ways to adopt DevOps sanely, and get measurable results in just weeks.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- Hacking a Safe with Bash
- Secure Server Deployments in Hostile Territory, Part II
- Shashlik - a Tasty New Android Simulator
- Huge Package Overhaul for Debian and Ubuntu
- Home Automation with Raspberry Pi
- The Controversy Behind Canonical's Intellectual Property Policy
- Embed Linux in Monitoring and Control Systems
- KDE Reveals Plasma Mobile
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Purism Librem 13 Review