Home Entertainment Linux MP3 Player
The technology to do almost anything with the music is already available. In my opinion, without Linux and open-source software, the task of building such a remote-directed MP3 player would be much more difficult. Since my Linux server is up 24/7, it makes sense to use it any time I want to listen to music as well. Although the system I dedicated for it is a rather modest one (Cyrix 6x86 running at 166MHz), the MP3 player is using around 40% of the CPU time when playing, and there are no audible interruptions even when concurrently serving web pages. In addition to compressing all my CD collections and storing them on my Linux server as MP3 files, I also digitized my old tapes and, after some processing of the sound in order to improve it, stored them in the same music hierarchy tree. Finally, I could remove all the CDs and tapes from my living room and store them away for good. Now, every musical piece is quickly accessible by a touch of a remote-controller button.
Goran Devic (firstname.lastname@example.org) has a BS in computer science from the University of Texas in Austin. He has worked on developing Cirrus Logic's Laguna 3D graphics accelerator (5464/65) and has three patents issued and ten pending in the area of graphics accelerators. He is currently working on new generation graphics accelerators at 3dfx Interactive, Inc. He spends his free time with his year old son, Siddartha. His hobbies include playing classical guitar, photography and Eastern spirituality.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- New Products
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Examining Load Average
- Manage Your Configs with vcsh
- thanks for share, great
14 hours 57 min ago
- There are factors which are
19 hours 57 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
20 hours 42 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 49 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 10 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 17 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 18 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 22 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 22 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 10 hours ago