Corporate Linux: Coexisting with the Big Boys
Introducing a renegade operating system like Linux into the holy grail of a major company's production network takes a lot of enthusiasm, persuasion and lobbying in addition to a fine feeling for nestling it in as smoothly and unobtrusively as possible. If people take notice without being pointed toward the change, something went wrong.
Without sacrificing any of its inherent flexibility, Linux fits the bill almost perfectly. I always take special pride in demonstrating what Linux can do whenever one of its commercial brethren fails to accomplish something satisfactorily, whether it is related to performance issues, the speed and flexibility of open-source software, or the speed with which the operating system develops. This benefits the whole company and has led to Tux being a well-liked companion on many a desk in addition to the server rooms. This is a testament to the superiority of this OS and should definitely help Linus toward his ultimate goal after all.
All listings referred to in this article are available by anonymous download in the file ftp.linuxjournal.com/pub/lj/listings/issue68/3528.tgz.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2014 Poll
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Identifying Swift Opportunities Relating to interview transcript holocaust
- Senior Perl Developer
- Technical Support Rep
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Give new life to old phones and tablets with these tips!
- Source Code Scanners for Better Code
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014