The Past and Future of Linux Standards
Is it enough for Linux developers to make their own way based on standards developed by outside groups such as the IEEE, The Open Group, ISO and ANSI? Probably not. Linux developers have been able to pick and choose which standards to adopt and how to implement them, but as standards are revised and extended, Linux developers want to ensure future standards also meet their needs.
One such revision in progress is a joint revision of the POSIX standards by the IEEE, The Open Group and ISO. The group revising the standard is known as the Austin Group. Unlike previous POSIX standards, the goal is a common set of documents shared by all three organizations. USENIX, the Advanced Computing Systems Association, is helping to fund two Linux developers to attend meetings and participate in the revision. The two developers are Ulrich Drepper, the glibc maintainer, and H. Peter Anvin, author of the kernel automounter and maintainer of the Linux device list. The POSIX revision, Ulrich says, will throw away or at least make optional some of the less wanted parts of the old standards (such as STREAMS). This is a good thing for Linux because those parts have not been adopted by the entire Linux community. The result is that fuller compliance with POSIX will become more likely.
In addition, Ulrich adds, there are functions he would like to see standardized in the new POSIX specification. Some of those function specifications may come directly from the glibc project. If that happens, maybe some future operating system can put some of the standardization blame on Linux.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Mars Needs Women
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Web Administration Scripts
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- thanks for share, great
16 hours 9 min ago
- There are factors which are
21 hours 9 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
21 hours 53 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 2 hours ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 12 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 18 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 19 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 23 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 23 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 11 hours ago