Letters to the Editor
I track operating environments for IDC and just read Phil Hughes' article on the Open Source Developers Day (November 1998). Just wanted to take a moment to echo your thoughts at the end of the article regarding applications and Linux.
I often speak to my clients and vendors about Linux (or the “Linux Experience” as I've taken to calling it; one has to have some fun). I have been telling these clients and vendors that applications drive OS sales. It really is that simple. Although there are many barriers to Linux in enterprise, the recent application development advancements/announcements are a positive step for Linux. However, now is not the time to rest on these victories. When I think about Linux “standards” and applications, I believe that involvement from the beginning by the application vendors is crucial.
—Bill Peterson email@example.com
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Divx# Watch The Other Woman Full HD Online Streaming Viooz
- Numerical Python
- Great Scott! It's Version 13!
- Use Linux as a SAN Provider
- RSS Feeds
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Adminer—Better Than Awesome!
- Linux Kernel Testing and Debugging
- It Actually Is Rocket Science