Letters to the Editor
I track operating environments for IDC and just read Phil Hughes' article on the Open Source Developers Day (November 1998). Just wanted to take a moment to echo your thoughts at the end of the article regarding applications and Linux.
I often speak to my clients and vendors about Linux (or the “Linux Experience” as I've taken to calling it; one has to have some fun). I have been telling these clients and vendors that applications drive OS sales. It really is that simple. Although there are many barriers to Linux in enterprise, the recent application development advancements/announcements are a positive step for Linux. However, now is not the time to rest on these victories. When I think about Linux “standards” and applications, I believe that involvement from the beginning by the application vendors is crucial.
—Bill Peterson firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linux Journal December 2016
- Stepping into Science
- CORSAIR's Carbide Air 740
- Tyson Foods Honored as SUSE Customer of the Year
- A Better Raspberry Pi Streaming Solution
- The Tiny Internet Project, Part II
- Radio Free Linux
- More on Using the Bash Complete Command
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- FutureVault Inc.'s FutureVault