Open Source Developer Day
Over the past few months, three different attempts at a Linux standard have been made. The good news is that Dan Quinlan of Linux Filesystem Standard fame has taken over as chair of what is now a combination of the first two standards attempts.
This effort has support from a reasonable cross section of the Linux community and, with Dan at the helm, I expect support to grow. You can read more about it at http://www.linuxbase.org/.
For my two cents, to make the effort work there has to be a high level of involvement from the application vendors in order to ensure that applications will run on all major Linux distributions. I think a face-to-face meeting of all participants is needed to get this effort rolling.
Free DevOps eBooks, Videos, and more!
Regardless of where you are in your DevOps process, Linux Journal can help!
We offer here the DEFINITIVE DevOps for Dummies, a mobile Application Development Primer, and advice & help from the expert sources like:
- Linux Journal
- New Products
- Users, Permissions and Multitenant Sites
- Flexible Access Control with Squid Proxy
- Security in Three Ds: Detect, Decide and Deny
- High-Availability Storage with HA-LVM
- DevOps: Everything You Need to Know
- Tighten Up SSH
- Non-Linux FOSS: MenuMeters
- Solving ODEs on Linux
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development