Best of Technical Support
Red Hat 5.0 comes bundled with Metro-X, a high-powered graphics server, and I have had a lot of problems getting it to run. A friend of mine running Linux said there is a bug in Red Hat 5.0 that prevents the necessary symbolic link from being created. I tried to correct it using the following command:
rm /etc/X11/X ln -s ../../usr/X11R6/bin/Xmetro \ /etc/X11/X
This didn't solve the problem. When I try to start Metro-X my screen goes blank, and a few seconds later, the prompt returns with no error messages.
Can you help me solve this problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.
—Tim Perry, Red Hat 5.0
If that is exactly what you typed, you missed something crucial: a semicolon (;) before the ln (this separates the rm command from the ln command). Worse, you also removed the Xmetro binary!
To fix it, use rpm or glint to reinstall the Metro-X package, then re-run the command with a semicolon before the ln.
—Scott Maxwell, firstname.lastname@example.org
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- New Products
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- New Products
- RSS Feeds
- ~Putlocker~2014 Watch Boyhood Online Streaming Full Movie