What's GNU: Texinfo
Texinfo provides a clean input language with everything necessary for producing handsome printed documentation and highly usable on-line hypertext help. The info viewer provides a friendly interface for reading the on-line Info files.
The nicest thing I have found about Texinfo is that you don't need to know TeX to use it. I have been happily writing in Texinfo for around seven years, and have not really needed to learn TeX. Even though Texinfo has over 160 commands, what I've covered in this article is 95% of what most people would use on a day-to-day basis.
I also recommend buying and reading the Texinfo manual from the FSF. It is well-written and thorough. You will need to do this anyway if you plan to write a large Texinfo file, as this article has just scratched the surface. The Texinfo manual comes with the Texinfo distribution, and is of course written in Texinfo; this provides a nice example that uses all of Texinfo's features.
Thanks to Miriam Robbins for making me clarify a number of points in this article, and to Robert J. Chassell of the FSF (primary author of the Texinfo manual) for his comments.
Arnold Robbins is a professional programmer and semi-professional author. He has been doing volunteer work for the GNU project since 1987 and working with Unix and Unix-like systems since 1981.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- RSS Feeds
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- Linux Systems Administrator
- There are factors which are
4 min 39 sec ago
- Gnome 3 ?
49 min 38 sec ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
4 hours 56 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
15 hours 2 min ago
- on the ground
21 hours 24 min ago
- I was able to read the whole
22 hours 53 min ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 2 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 2 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
1 day 14 hours ago
1 day 15 hours ago