What Is Linux
About a year ago I was talking to some friends about the ideaof starting a free software magazine. After a few meetings we realized that “free” was a very arbitrary term and what was really needed was a magazine that looks for the best value in software for the consumer. We quickly realized this would be a huge effort and how the subcription cost would be high because it couldn't carry advertising if it was to be totally objective. After all, companies with the biggest advertising budget seldom have the lowest prices.
At that time I had started playing with Linux. Having run Unixon PCs for about 8 years I was interested to see what Linux had to offer. I quickly came to the conclusion that Linux was betterthan many commercial Unix systems and was rapidly growing intoan amazingly nice product. I mentioned the idea of a Linux magazine to the team I had been working with on the free software magazine expecting them to discount it. Instead virtually all of themthought it was a good idea.
I distributed a questionnaire at a local Linux meeting and alsoon the Internet. Again, feedback was very positive so we decided that LJ was the way to go. After a few disasters we managed to hook up with Bob Young, publisher of New York Unix, and you see the result. Where we go from here is up to you. Initial articles and columnsare based on the interests expressed in the questionnaires that were returned. I encourage you, the reader to write or e-mail me with what you want to see in LJ. Our goal is to further theinterests of the Linux community. You are that community so let us know what you want.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Building a Multisourced Infrastructure Using OpenVPN
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- New Products
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- February 2016 Issue of Linux Journal
- Server Hardening
- Giving Silos Their Due