Linux Code Freeze
In short, the next version of Linux (0.99.15) will be a “full-featured” release, and only obvious bug-fixes to existing features will be applied before calling it 1.0. If this means that your favourite feature or networking version won't make it, don't despair: there is life even after beta (and it's probably not worth mailing me about it any more: I've seen quite a few favourite features already ;-).
In fact, 1.0 has little “real meaning”, as far as development goes, but should be taken as an indication that it can be used for real work (which has been true for some time, depending on your definition of “real work”). Development won't stop or even slow down: some of it has even been shelved pending a 1.0 already.
Calling it 1.0 will not necessarily make all bugs go away (quite the opposite, judging by some other programs), but I hope it will be a reasonably stable release. In order to accomplish this, the code-freeze after 0.99.15 will be about a month, and I hope people will test out that kernel heavily, instead of waiting for “the real release” so that any potential bugs can be found and fixed.
As to where we are now: as of this moment, the latest release is the `r' version of pl14 (aka “ALPHA-pl14r”). I've made ALPHA releases available on ftp.funet.fi almost daily, and expect a final pl15 within a few more days. Testing out the ALPHA releases is not discouraged either if you like recompiling kernels every day or two..
And finally: we also try to create a “credits” file that mentions the developers of the kernel and essential Linux utilities. The credit file compilator is firstname.lastname@example.org (John A. Martin), and if you feel you have cause to be mentioned in it, please contact him.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
6 hours 58 min ago
- There are factors which are
11 hours 57 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
12 hours 42 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
16 hours 49 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 2 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 9 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 10 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 14 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 14 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 2 hours ago