Letters to the Editor
As an owner of Red Hat/TriTeal CDE, I was interested in the CDE article in the January 1998 issue of Linux Journal. However, I'd like to add one thing to the article concerning the root dtlogin “problem”. This isn't actually a problem, per se, it's a “feature”. Refusing dtlogins by root was chosen intentionally for security reasons. However, this feature can be disabled, as I discovered when I asked Red Hat support about it. Here are the three things that they suggested could be done:
1: Add dt to the /etc/securetty file.2: Remove the /etc/securetty file.3: Remove the line in the /etc/pam.d/dtlogin file referencing secure tty.
I simply did number 1, and now I have a nice X root login.
—Matt Harrell email@example.com
For your information, there is an incorrect URL in your “Ricochet Modem” article by Randolph Bentson (January 1998)—www.metricom.net does not work. The correct address is http://www.metricom.com/.
—Thomas K. Pedersentpedersen@kraft.com
I am happy to see an issue devoted to parallel processing, but I am curious why you did not include information on the Linux SMP project which is at http://www.linux.org.uk/SMP/title.html? This project is directly related to parallel processing.
Also, will LJ make any future effort to make an archive CD-ROM of all the past issues? I hope so, that would be great.
—Steel Viper firstname.lastname@example.org
I wish we had room for everything about our focus but there are only so many pages in a magazine. I would like articles about SMP and the Stone Soupercomputer program mentioned above, but they will have to be in the future. As to your second question, an archive CD-ROM of 1994 and 1995 will be available in March —Editor
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
4 hours 6 min ago
- There are factors which are
9 hours 6 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
9 hours 51 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
13 hours 58 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 4 min ago
- on the ground
1 day 6 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 7 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 11 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 11 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
1 day 23 hours ago