FastCGI: Persistent Applications for Your Web Server
My example script doesn't tackle many of the tasks at which FastCGI excels: persistent database connections, format translation (e.g., SGML to HTML) or providing common HTML page headers and footers. At the site I manage, I use FastCGI to do all these things and more.
I've found that a FastCGI application can perform its duties, including multiple SQL queries, and deliver a page on the fly only slightly slower than the server can deliver static documents. On a 10Mbps LAN connection the speed difference is perceptible, but just barely, and only if I'm looking for it. Over a 128Kbps or slower connection, I notice no difference.
I still use CGI to perform simple, infrequently needed tasks. A CGI script doesn't hog system resources for very long. For complex, frequently invoked tasks, FastCGI provides a great combination of flexibility and speed.
The two listings referred to in this article are available by anonymous download in the file ftp.linuxjournal.com/pub/lj/listings/issue55/2607.tgz.
Paul Heinlein (email@example.com) lives with his family near Portland, Oregon and is Webmaster at http://www.computerbits.com/. When he and his daughter aren't playing CD-ROM-based games, Paul indulges his odd hankering for Lutheran theology and hymnody.
- Two Pi R
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- A Handy U-Boot Trick
- The Geek's Guide to the Coolest 2013 Holiday Gifts
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- GIMP Shmimp, Give Me a Browser
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tinker with Molecular Dynamics for Fun and Profit
- Linux Kernel News - October 2013
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
23 min 22 sec ago
- Definitely cool stuff here
1 hour 24 min ago
- thanks for the information
2 hours 35 min ago
- nice information thanks
3 hours 14 min ago
6 hours 10 min ago
- The lost opportunity of security
18 hours 59 sec ago
- Andhra Pradesh has a variety
21 hours 59 min ago
- Very nice write up. I too
1 day 5 hours ago
- That's great article fill of
1 day 11 hours ago
- برامج مجانية
1 day 12 hours ago