Building a Web Weather Station
One of my main concerns is lightning. Fortunately, our site is in a wooded area that is somewhat protected from direct lightning strikes. Still, I would feel even better if the remote weather sensors were electrically isolated from the display unit and my Linux machine. Some sort of optical isolation would probably work.
Also, I may have to develop an automated way to set the clock on the weather display unit.
Otherwise, the system seems to be working pretty well. With weatherd.pl running from the inittab, and with loop.pl in my startup rc files, the weather station monitoring continues after a reboot without manual intervention. Power loss or server failure will interrupt the service, but neither of those are common occurrences.
My weather station web page (see Figure 3) can be found at http://www.frii.net/~daylight/wscurrent.html. Please stop by and check it out. If you have the opportunity, come to Estes Park and see what a beautiful place it is.
All listings referred to in this article are available by anonymous download in the file ftp.linuxjournal.com/pub/lj/listings/issue56/2538.tgz.
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Aug 20, 2014|
|Security Hardening with Ansible||Aug 18, 2014|
|Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark||Aug 14, 2014|
|IndieBox: for Gamers Who Miss Boxes!||Aug 13, 2014|
|Non-Linux FOSS: a Virtualized Cisco Infrastructure?||Aug 11, 2014|
|Linux Security Threats on the Rise||Aug 08, 2014|
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- RSS Feeds
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Security Threats on the Rise
- Cooking with Linux - Serious Cool, Sysadmin Style!