The awk Utility
Scripting languages and specialty tools that allow rapid development have been widely accepted for quite some time. Both awk and sed deserve a spot on any Linux developer's and administrator's workbench. Both tools are a standard part of any Linux platform. Together, awk and sed can be used to implement virtually any text filtering application—such as perform repetitive edits to data streams and files and generate formatted reports.
The most current reference book for both awk and sed is the O'Reilly release awk and sed by Dale Dougherty and Arnold Robbins. Also see Effective AWK Programming by Arnold Robbins (SSC). For an immediate on-line synopsis on your Linux system, use the man command as follows:
I hope the information provided here is useful and encourages you to begin or expand your use of these tools. If you exploit what awk and sed offer, you will most certainly save development time and money. Those who know how to quickly apply sharp tools to seemingly complex problems are handsomely rewarded in our field.
- Is the Private Cloud a Real Cloud?
- Give new life to old phones and tablets with these tips!
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Readers' Choice Awards 2014 Poll
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- PostScript, The Forgotten Art of Programming
- Gentoo for All the Unusual Reasons
- RSS Feeds