The awk Utility
Scripting languages and specialty tools that allow rapid development have been widely accepted for quite some time. Both awk and sed deserve a spot on any Linux developer's and administrator's workbench. Both tools are a standard part of any Linux platform. Together, awk and sed can be used to implement virtually any text filtering application—such as perform repetitive edits to data streams and files and generate formatted reports.
The most current reference book for both awk and sed is the O'Reilly release awk and sed by Dale Dougherty and Arnold Robbins. Also see Effective AWK Programming by Arnold Robbins (SSC). For an immediate on-line synopsis on your Linux system, use the man command as follows:
I hope the information provided here is useful and encourages you to begin or expand your use of these tools. If you exploit what awk and sed offer, you will most certainly save development time and money. Those who know how to quickly apply sharp tools to seemingly complex problems are handsomely rewarded in our field.
Win an iPhone 6
Enter to Win
|Take Control of Your PC with UEFI Secure Boot||Nov 30, 2015|
|Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!||Nov 26, 2015|
|Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?||Nov 25, 2015|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.||Nov 24, 2015|
|Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH||Nov 23, 2015|
|Web Stores Held Hostage||Nov 19, 2015|
- Take Control of Your PC with UEFI Secure Boot
- Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH
- Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?
- Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.
- Web Stores Held Hostage
- Firefox's New Feature for Tighter Security
- Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!
- PuppetLabs Introduces Application Orchestration
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- IBM LinuxONE Provides New Options for Linux Deployment