HTML: The Definitive Guide, Second Edition
Authors: Chuck Musciano and Bill Kennedy
Publisher: O'Reilly and Associates
Price: $32.95 US
Reviewer: Eric S. Raymond
Given the number of HTML books available, it takes something close to hubris to title a book HTML: The Definitive Guide. When O'Reilly sent me the manuscript of the first edition for review over a year ago, I was skeptical—but that first edition earned its title by presenting the best reference material I have ever seen on HTML. This second edition is a worthy follow-up.
The authors methodically walk you through every HTML feature in HTML 3.2, Netscape's extensions and Internet Explorer's extensions. They even cover such recondite topics as cascading style sheets. A handy reference appendix lists all the world's tags.
What is really outstanding about this book is the careful attention to HTML portability issues. Browser-specific tags and tag attributes are prominently marked. Charts like the summary of content-based tags on page 73, which tell you exactly how the tags will render under Netscape, Internet Explorer and Lynx, are alone worth the price of the book. And while non-portable constructions are carefully documented, the book is full of good advice about making your pages browser-independent.
Not only is this a definitive guide, it may be the only HTML book you'll ever need—at least, until the authors put out the next edition covering HTML 4.0.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- New Products
- Web Administration Scripts
- on the ground
50 min 59 sec ago
- I was able to read the whole
2 hours 20 min ago
- since i have read the title i
5 hours 40 min ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
5 hours 45 min ago
- The kernel doesn't really
17 hours 56 min ago
18 hours 27 min ago
18 hours 27 min ago
20 hours 32 min ago
- This should be very helpful
21 hours 46 min ago
- As much as I share your point
1 day 5 min ago