Using Linux at Lectra-Systèmes
The experience of the new Lectra range shows it is possible to build an industrial solution under Linux. The system is stable and powerful. It is possible to gather a wide range of information thanks to the Internet, which has proved to have the highest performance in technical support. Having system source code makes it possible to develop more functions more easily (e.g., material drivers or individual protocols, specific file systems).
The new orientations announced during the last Linux congress in Berlin (improvement of the Virtual File System, optimisation of the EXT2 file system, the Wabi MS Windows emulator, multi-processor support, adoption of Linux by Digital) assures us Linux has acquired much industrial maturity.
Furthermore, the choice of a PC platform allows us to offer customers industrial and administrative applications on the same machine.
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and not of the Lectra-Systemes company.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Firefox OS
- New Products