Choosing an Internet Services Provider
The vocabulary covered in this article will help you speak your ISP's language. While many ISPs try to speak real English, knowing the occasional technical term can be very helpful, both in choosing an ISP and in working with your ISP once your choice is made.
You may know, or you may have learned in this article, more vocabulary than the help desk or sales staff know. If you sense that the person on the other end of the phone doesn't know what you are talking about, don't be afraid to ask to talk to technical staff.
See Internet Resources sidebar for more information.
Michael K. Johnson is the Editor of Linux Journal and full-time Internet user.
- Considering Legacy UNIX/Linux Issues
- Cluetrain at Fifteen
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- New Products
- Python Scripts as a Replacement for Bash Utility Scripts
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- RSS Feeds
- Getting Good Vibrations with Linux