System Administration: Maximizing Linux Security: Part 2
The network should be examined for potential security problems on a regular basis just like the local system. The once notorious Satan program provides one way of doing so. Satan is designed to look for network vulnerabilities from the outside in. It looks for a variety of problems, including:
The availability of notoriously insecure network services, such as rexd and old versions of sendmail.
The setup of any ftp and/or tftp facilities.
A variety of NFS vulnerabilities.
X server vulnerabilities.
For those concerned about the misuse of such a powerful tool, the Gabriel and Courtney packages attempt to detect suspicious uses of Satan itself.
We've covered a wide variety of threats to system security in this article. Don't let the sheer number of them overwhelm you. All you can do is protect your system as well as is currently possible and make frequent backups so that you can recover quickly in the event that your best efforts are not enough. Remember that system security is an ongoing process, not something you can take care of once and then forget about. And as in all of life, there are no guarantees.
Æleen Frisch (firstname.lastname@example.org) manages a very heterogeneous network of Linux and other UNIX systems and PCs. Having recently finished second editions of two books, she looks forward to pursuing her true calling: pulling the string for her cats, Daphne and Sarah.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- New Products
- Mixtapes Community
19 min 10 sec ago
- KDE is one true DE
53 min 34 sec ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
1 hour 22 min ago
3 hours 17 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
4 hours 36 min ago
- nice to see PClinuxOS finally
7 hours 10 min ago
- Personally, I am no longer a
8 hours 6 min ago
- It's Jupiter
22 hours 31 min ago
- GIMP is certainly a graphic
23 hours 33 min ago
- Thanks For Your Sharing
1 day 4 hours ago