Augmented Reality with HTML5
But you could just as easily have written the whole application in Dalvik, so what is the advantage of writing part in HTML5? Here are the advantages:
If you were writing a real application, the HTML5 part would be (relatively) portable to other platforms. You wouldn't have to rewrite it to port to, say, the iPhone. In the example, the HTML5 part is pretty small, but in principle, it could be much larger.
You could have kept the HTML5 part of the application on a remote HTTP server, to be updated whenever the app is run, without requiring the user to download an update.
If your application displayed information from the Web, it could be argued that HTML5 is a more natural place for Web interaction than Dalvik.
Compass card graphics adapted from commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Compass.svg.
Rick Rogers has been a professional embedded developer for more than 30 years. Now specializing in mobile application software, when Rick isn't writing software for a living, he's writing books and magazine articles like this one. He welcomes feedback on the article at email@example.com.
Rick Rogers has been a professional embedded developer for more than 30 years. Now specializing in mobile application software, when Rick isn't writing software for a living, he's writing books and magazine articles like this one.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- New Products
- Senior Perl Developer
41 min 55 sec ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
2 hours 1 min ago
- nice to see PClinuxOS finally
4 hours 34 min ago
- Personally, I am no longer a
5 hours 31 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
18 hours 56 min ago
- It's Jupiter
19 hours 56 min ago
- GIMP is certainly a graphic
20 hours 58 min ago
- Thanks For Your Sharing
1 day 1 hour ago
- Studying linux, and looking
1 day 5 hours ago
- voting for Best Linux Distribution
1 day 13 hours ago