Managing KVM Deployments with Virt-Manager
libvirt provides many features to do more complex things with virtual machines, such as storage, networking and USB/PCI options. All of those features should be accessed using the virsh command-line tool. virt-manager provides GUI-based wizards for creating new virtual machines and allows dynamic reconfiguration of the boot device while displaying interactive performance graphs (Figure 4). For home users, the best feature of virt-manager is its ability to show multiple VM consoles at the same time.
Other distributions will work with KVM, although the creation of the host bridged network is likely to be different. Advanced users may want to investigate the use of Logical Volume Managers (LVMs) instead of flat-file images to improve performance.
Virtual Machine Manager: virt-manager.et.redhat.com
KVM on Fedora 11: www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-kvm-on-a-fedora-11-server
Shared Networks on Fedora: fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Shared_Network_Interface
libvirt Networking: wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Fedora.2FRHEL_Bridging
Michael J. Hammel is a Principal Software Engineer for Colorado Engineering, Inc. (CEI), in Colorado Springs, Colorado, with more than 20 years of software development and management experience. He has written more than 100 articles for numerous on-line and print magazines and is the author of three books on The GIMP, the premier open-source graphics editing package.
|Dynamic DNS—an Object Lesson in Problem Solving||May 21, 2013|
|Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development||May 20, 2013|
|Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)||May 16, 2013|
|Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This||May 15, 2013|
|Home, My Backup Data Center||May 13, 2013|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Seashore||May 10, 2013|
- Dynamic DNS—an Object Lesson in Problem Solving
- Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)
- Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development
- New Products
- Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This
- Validate an E-Mail Address with PHP, the Right Way
- A Topic for Discussion - Open Source Feature-Richness?
- Download the Free Red Hat White Paper "Using an Open Source Framework to Catch the Bad Guy"
- The Secret Password Is...
- New Products
3 hours 53 min ago
- Keeping track of IP address
5 hours 44 min ago
- Roll your own dynamic dns
10 hours 57 min ago
- Please correct the URL for Salt Stack's web site
14 hours 9 min ago
- Android is Linux -- why no better inter-operation
16 hours 24 min ago
- Connecting Android device to desktop Linux via USB
16 hours 52 min ago
- Find new cell phone and tablet pc
17 hours 50 min ago
19 hours 19 min ago
- Automatically updating Guest Additions
20 hours 28 min ago
- I like your topic on android
21 hours 14 min ago