The Challenges of Open Source in the Enterprise
Open source has had huge amounts of successful adoption in the enterprise: Linux, Apache, Xen, Perl, PHP, Java and the list goes on. Open source also has had failures, either failure to launch (where it does not get adopted) or explosion on the launchpad (where it is adopted and fails). When looking to adopt an open-source solution in an enterprise, it is important to remember the entire nine-layer model and answer three questions:
Does it meet all of the technical requirements, including those that are unique to running any technology in an enterprise?
Does it have sufficient support and maturity to meet the business requirements of the enterprise?
Can I move it through the process while taking into account the politics inherent in any enterprise?
If the answer to all three is positive, you have a good situation for promoting adoption of an open-source solution.
Avi Deitcher is an operations and technology consultant based in New York and Israel who has been involved in technology since the days of the Z80 and Apple II, and he has worked with global enterprises through tiny Web startups. He has a BS Electrical Engineering from Columbia University and an MBA from Duke University. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Web Administration Scripts
- Linux Systems Administrator
- thanks for share, great
16 hours 32 min ago
- There are factors which are
21 hours 32 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
22 hours 17 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 2 hours ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 12 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 18 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 20 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 23 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 23 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 11 hours ago